Are you interested in submitting a story for publication in our magazine? See our submission guidelines below.
We use The Economist style guide. In addition, we will only consider stories that follow these guidelines:
- Must be informative and share unique expertise.
- Can include tips, strategies, techniques, case-studies, analysis, opinions and commentary.
- Must not be blatant and excessive self-promotion or hype.
- Must have proper English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalisation and sentence structure. While we know there is a variation in what is considered “proper English,” we ask that at least for consistency within articles.
- Must be proofed and double-checked for accuracy. If English is a second language, we strongly suggest that articles be proofed by someone who has English as their native tongue before submission.
- Must utilise simple punctuation rules: One space after each full stop, colon, or semi-colon; full stops should be inside of quotes in the case of full sentences; When using “…” – use only 3 dots minimum and maximum; When using dashes, use one, e.g.: “-”; There is never a space before a full stop or before a comma.
- Must not contain: pornography/adult material, hate or violence-oriented, suggest racial intolerance, advocate against any individual or group, have insulting, obscene, degrading tone, or contain profanity.
- Must not contain information on: Hacking/cracking content, bomb creation, support for terrorism/ radicalism/ religious fanaticism, illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia, steroid advocacy, weapon/ firearms/ ammunition, or the promotion of hard alcohol/tobacco-related products or prescription drugs.
- Must not contain any content that is a violation of any law, be considered defamatory, libellous, or infringes on the legal rights of others.
- Must not be a submission of the exact same article as one already submitted – we reject these.
- Must not contain excessive and/or bolded keywords/ phrases. Bolding is limited to headings and subheadings.
- Must be submitted with a high resolution, jpeg image of the author.
- Must contain sub-headings.
- Must not, unless by prior arrangement with the Managing Editor, exceed a word count of 1000.
- Must, wherever possible, be accompanied by suitable, relevant, captioned, high resolution, jpeg images.
- Must be submitted by the correct date.